Donegal In Song
Donegal is a county in the Republic of Ireland, and is located in the province of Ulster. It only borders one other county in Ireland and that is Co. Leitrim. Its southern and eastern borders consist of 3 counties of Northern Ireland: Londonderry, Tyrone and Fermanagh.
Donegal’s climate is strongly regulated by the Gulf Stream of the Atlantic Ocean which forms its northern border. The rugged Atlantic coastline forms many loughs; two of the largest are the Loughs Swilly and Foyle.
Donegal is an amazing county and has many songs written about it. Some of these songs include:
- Back Home in Donegal
- Days in Old Donegal
- Dear Old Donegal
- Destination Donegal by Johnny McCauley
- Donegal Danny –Phil Coulter
- Donegal Rain –Andy M. Stewart
- Donegal Rain– Orla Sweeney ( a completely different song, and may have written it)
- Heart of Donegal
- The Hills of Donegal by Wilfred Sanderson
- The Homes of Donegal – The lyrics were written by Sean McBride in 1955, but the tune is at least 150 years older. The original tune is called The Faughan Side.
- It’s A Long Way Home to Donegal by Larrikin Love and M. Mitchell
- My Own Donegal by Joe Moore
- My Donegal Shore by Phil Mack
- My One and Only Girl From Donegal– Sean Wilson
- The Girl From Donegal– Phil Mack
- The Star of Donegal written by Cathal McGarvey
- This is My Homeland (My DonegaI)/ Home To Donegal/ Back Home to My Donegal– Patsy Cavanagh
*I’m pretty sure the song writers/composers are correct.
Note: eNotes is a great source of Irish Ballads if you need more.